The Research Centre in Chemistry functions under the post-graduate department of Chemistry. It has well equipped laboratories and facilities for comprehensive research in all branches of Chemistry. The centre has nine Ph.D degree holders and more than 108 published research papers to its credit. Dr. Winny Varghese, Dr.Shanti A. Avirah and Dr. K.B. Sherley have won UGC grants for their major research projects. The centre has produced two Ph.D's and one research scholar has submitted the Ph.D thesis to the university.
Dr. Winny Varghese
Dr. M.M. Joseph
Dr. Shanti A. Avirah
Dr. K.B. Sherly
Dr. Jayamma Francis
High Performance Liquid Chromatograph, UV- Visible Spectrophotometer, Temperature Programmed Desorption Reactor, Digital Potentiometer, Digital Conductometer, Digital Colorimeter, Refractometer, Digital Polarimeter, pHmeter, Thermostat, Computer Work Station, Air oven, Muffle Furnace, Over Head Projector, Electronic Balances (with accuracy 0.1 mg and 1 mg), Microwave Oven, Rotory Shaker, Plastic Shredding Machine, IR thermometer, Sound level meter and Water analyser.
1. " Spectrophotometric Determination of Hydroxy Citric Acid". Benny Antony and Winny Varghese. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences September-October 1999.
2. "Bio-degradation of Cyclohexanone and Cyclohexanol by the Activated Sludge Process." Babu G. and Winny Varghese. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, Nov. 1999.
3. "A study on the treatment of waste water containing cyclohexanone and cyclohexanol by Activated sludge process". Babu G and Winny Varghese. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2000.
4. Preparation and Evaluation of Hydroxy Citric Acid from Garcinia Combogia Extract RP-Amide HPLC ; Indian J.Pharm.Sci, 2004, 66(2): 208-211 ; B. Antony, Winny Varghese and Marina Elias.
5. A suggested method for avoiding crop raid by Elephants, 21st Kerala Science Congress, Jan 29-31, Kollam, 2009.
6. A Role model in Participatory economic activities, ICEAI University Journal of Environmental Economics (In press)
7. A suggested method for mitigation of crop raid by Elephants, The Indian Forester (under Review)
8. Liquid phase Benzoylation of o-xylene to 3,4 – Dimethylbenzophenone using rare earth oxide catalysts. Reaction Kinetics and Catalysis Letters Vol. 74, No.1, 99 – 102 (2001)
9. Catalytic activity of CeO2 and Pr2O3 for the liquid phase Benzylation of o-xylene to 3,4 – Dimethyldiphenylmethane. Reaction Kinetics and Catalysis Letters., Vol .75, No.2, 239 – 243 (2002)
10. Using neural network classifiers for predicting melting points of compounds in terms of topological descriptors, National Seminar on Image Processing and Cryptography held at Sree Saraswati Thygaraja College, Pollachi on March 8, (2008)
11. Surface acidity and catalytic activity of lanthanum oxide, National Seminar in Chemical Sciences at S. H College, Thevara on November 22-24, (2008)
UGC major research projects
- UGC sponsored major research project --"Studies on Hydroxy Citric Acid in Garcinia" - by Dr. Winny Varghese and Benny Antony.
- UGC sponsored major research project -"Preparation and Uses of Carboxy Terminated Liquid Natural Rubber"-Dr. Shanty A. Avirah and Dileep. U.
- UGC sponsored major research project --"Catalytic Activity of Rare Earth Oxides"-- by Dr. K.B. Sherly and Venugopal. T
UGC minor research projects
- “Synthesis, Characterization and Applications of Rare Earth Doped Nano Pillared Clay Catalysts” by Dr. Manju Kurian (On going)
- “Synthesis, Spectral and Structural Studies of N(4)-Substituted Semicarbazones of Transition Metal Complexes” by Smt. Binu Varghese (On going)
- "Lithium Aluminium Hydride Reactions of Aromatic Dinitro Compounds" by Dr. M.M Joseph
- "Topological Estimation of Useful Chemical Properties Using Neural Network and Similar Artificial Intelligence Tools" by Dr. K.B Sherly
- "Studies on Hydrolysis of Organic Halogen Compounds in Solution in Presence of Additives" by C.O. George and Dr. Winny Varghese.
In addition, M.A College Association has supported the following research projects
- "Comparison Studies in the Environmental Aspects between Organic Paddy Cultivation and Cultivation using Synthetic Chemicals" by Dr. M. M Joseph-technically supported by the Dept. of Agriculture
- "Isolation of Vanillin from Vanilla Beans"by Dr. M. M Joseph
- "Plastic Based Bitumen Surfacing of Pavements" by Dr. M. M Joseph in collaboration with Thyagaraja College of Engg., Madurai.
- "Solid Waste Management" by Dr. M M Joseph.
a) UGC sponsored two day National Seminar on “Applications of Nanomaterials in Chemistry” on 28th and 29th July 2008.
b) UGC sponsored two day National Seminar on “Recent Advances in Organic Synthesis” on 21st and 22nd March 2005.
c) A one day seminar on "Synthesis of Conjugated Oligomers and Dendrimers and Applications in Material Science" by Prof. Dr. H. Meier, Mainz University, Germany on 28-11-2004.
State level seminars
a) A one day seminar on "Environmental Pollution Monitoring" by Dr. K.S Vijayakumar, Senior Scientist, Kerala State Pollution Control Board, on 15-11-2005.
b) A one day seminar on "Disaster Management" by Dr. K.G Thara, Prof. and Head, Institute of Land Management, Trivandrum and Mr. K. M Amanulla, Director (Retd.), Factories and Boilers on 10-10-2006.
c) A one day seminar on “Rubber Technology” by Dr. Siby Mathew, Scientist, Rubber Technology Division, R.R.I.I., Kottayam and Dr. M. Sunny Sebastian, Joint Director, R.R.I.I., Kottayam on 17-11-2006.
d) A one day seminar on "Pollution and Cardiovascular Diseases", by Padmabhooshan Prof. Dr. M.S Valiathan, Manipal University on 03-11-2007.